Sometimes there are books which, no matter how much people rave about them or how well received they are, I just don’t fancy reading. It might be the cover, or the title, or the subject matter, or there’s simply too much hype; whatever it is I’m just not looking forward to it. And sometimes you have to read one of those books because someone buys it for you, or lends it to you or because you just cannot resist the hype any longer, and on those occasions sometimes those books really exceed your expectations and you like them all the more for it! So in honour of those occasions, here is my list of pleasant surprises!
List Number Four: Ten books which exceeded my expectations
- The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
- Q&A by Vikas Swarup
- Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
- A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
- Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson
I’d love to hear which books changed your opinion once you read them!